"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Søren Kierkegaard

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Last couple of days - September 30, 2010

In the last two days we worked on our memoirs adding snapshots and thoughtshots.  The girls seemed to grasp the strategy.  I don't know how successful they were practicing the strategy.  In several classes I was able to have students share their writing.  Keyanna shared a memoir about her grandfather's death.  The writing time in all classes felt a bit chaotic.  I need to work on how to manage the class when I am conferencing.  

Then we discussed "Invictus" and identified metaphors.  This time I had the girls write about the meaning and the meaning of the metaphors.  

On A day we did not get to the reflection in all classes.  Second period covered it, but not first. Can't remember if we got to reflection with third period.

Third period had two good memoirs shared - Araceli and Alex.

Today only fifth period got to reflection.  Their poetry discussion was the least inspiring.  I don't think the girls know what a metaphor is.  I think I need to be more explicit - model!!

Sixth period had a good conversation about the poem.  A few girls seemed uncertain of metaphors.  Maybe try peer teaching here.

The seventh period discussion was focused on the idea of metaphor.  Next week I will introduce metaphor as a means of analyzing Kenny's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment